Coachworks Ashford, concept diagram
WE’RE REINVENTING A COLLECTION OF HISTORIC WAREHOUSES AND INDUSTRIAL SHEDS TO CREATE A DESTINATION FOR THE LOCAL COMMUNITY, VISITORS AND THOSE PASSING THROUGH.
Ashford Borough Council in partnership with Turner Works are developing a meanwhile proposal for a site at Dover Place, close to the international train station. The site is being transformed into a mixed-use campus providing co-working space, flexible indoor/outdoor event space and a food & drink destination.
The design approach works with the existing collection of industrial buildings, to provide new work and leisure uses for the local community and visitors alike.
It will go from this:
Scruffy, unused light-industrial buildings and a yard
• A start-up workspace and a co-work incubator (The Corn Store)
• A ‘tropical paradise’ for food, drinks and events (The Hothouse)
• A new social and cultural meeting place (The Yard)
• A creative campus which will be more than the sum of its parts
How we are doing it:
• We’re drawing on Ashford’s history as a centre of agriculture, trade and transport.
• We’re working with the existing buildings.
What you’ll find:
• A mix of indoor and outdoor space (that’s enough to welcome crowds of people)
• Workspace (to bring freelancers, entrepreneurs and small businesses into the heart of The Commercial Quarter)
• A co-work incubator (a supportive environment to help get businesses up and running)
And just as importantly:
• Food and drink venues
• A social and cultural meeting place
• An outdoor room with all sorts of possible uses